- Number of School Choice Programs: 2
- Total Number of Students: 2,034
- Total Number of Participating Schools: 51
- Total Expenditures: $9,389,444
Friday, January 27, 2012
Data Snapshot: Louisiana
With the release of the Alliance for School Choice's School Choice Yearbook 2011-12 (available for download here), we'll spend the next few days on School Choice Now! highlighting some of the new data and research it contains. The first in that series is a data snapshot of school choice in Louisiana.
Here are the new numbers in the Bayou State:
Student Scholarships for Educational Excellence Program
Both a means-test and failing schools voucher, this program grants scholarships to students living in Orleans Parish to attend the private school of their choice.
2011-12 School Year Data Update
· Scholarships Awarded: 1,848
· Schools Participating: 29
· 2011 Expenditures: $8,988,817
Growth in Student Participation
School Choice Pilot Program for Certain Students with Exceptionalities
Enacted in 2010, this voucher program designed for students with special needs granted scholarships to 186 students the 2011-12 school year.
Governor Jindal announced his education reform package this year that includes expansion of the Student Scholarships for Educational Excellence Program statewide to students from low-income families that attend failing schools.
- American Federation for Children | Alliance for School Choice, MSG