Robert Enlow, president and CEO of the Friedman Foundation for Educational Choice, recently wrote an op-ed for the Atlanta Journal-Constitution, calling on lawmakers across the country to expand or grant access to choice programs being considered in their state.
- Georgia: Lawmakers will consider expanding the state’s scholarship tax credit program.
- Tennessee: Governor Bill Haslam will include a school voucher program in his legislative package.
- Texas: The Texas legislature is considering a scholarship tax credit program for individuals and families.
- Mississippi: Governor Phil Bryant proposed a private school choice program for students in underperforming public schools, just a year after the state was home to the creation of a brand-new special needs voucher program for students with dyslexia.
- North Carolina: Legislators are reviewing proposals that could create a robust scholarship tax credit program in the state, a year after lawmakers lifted the cap on charter schools and created an individual tuition tax credit for children with disabilities.
- Indiana: Governor Mike Pence has proposed expanding the state’s voucher program to increase scholarship amounts and student eligibility.
- Maine: Governor Paul LePage has proposed establishing a school voucher program in the state.