|A scholarship student stands outside the courthouse in Baton Rouge on the first day of the trial.|
Wednesday, December 5, 2012
We brought you news late last week of a judge's decision to rule against the funding mechanism for the statewide Louisiana voucher program. Since the ruling was handed down Friday afternoon, a number of supporters of educational choice have spoken out against the ruling, reinforced their support for kids, and pledge to fight on.
Take a look below for just a few of the responses.
“I’m extremely disappointed,” said Tirany Howard, whose three children are receiving scholarships through the Student Scholarships for Educational Excellence program. “For once, I felt like as a society we’re moving forward, putting kids first, but it’s still about money.”
“We will do everything possible to make sure the children who are benefitting from this important scholarship program – and the thousands of children who are seeking to enter the program—will continue to have this option. They’ve made far too much progress to go back.”
"Today's ruling is wrongheaded and a travesty for parents across Louisiana who want nothing more than for their children to have an equal opportunity at receiving a great education," Louisiana Gov. Bobby Jindal said in a statement. "That opportunity is a chance that every child deserves and we will continue the fight to give it to them."